01 February 2012

26 week visit...

This was technically supposed to be my 24 week checkup, but I'm almost 2 weeks behind on my checkups because of the holidays. Anyway, I had the dreaded glucose test. I iced up the glucola drink that's been sitting in my fridge for the last four weeks, and drank it as fast as I could on the way to drop off Aidan at school. From there I went straight to my appointment. I was expecting the normal "everything's great" appointment, but I ended up leaving pretty unhappy.

Everything started out OK. I don't really have any complaints, other than the braxton hicks are getting strong and painful. My doctor asked how often I get them and I told him it's constant throughout the day...so many I can't keep track. Not that they're all painful, some of them are, but most of them are just pretty uncomfortable. So he decided to check my cervix just to make sure I'm not headed into preterm labor. Everything looked great, I'm still high and tight, which is fantastic.

Then he asked when I wanted to have my baby. I knew he meant to schedule a c-section, so I told him I really wanted a VBAC. Now, before I go on, let me just explain that I was under the impression I would have to have a consultation with a surgeon who could clear me for a VABC, and then I would have to wait until I went into labor, go to my local hospital and sign a crap ton of waivers and papers that would refuse a c-section. That's pretty much how it was explained to me by the midwife at an earlier appointment. Well, today I saw my doctor and it's the first time he and I discussed it. He said first I need to get the surgical report from my c-section (which took place at the Naval Hospital in GUAM), and then I can see a surgeon for a consult. Then, after that, I'd have to either travel to Savannah or down to Shands in Jacksonville. HUGE bummer because even with Shands being in Jacksonville, it's a much farther trek than going to the local hospital (which is literally 5 minutes from my house). Not to mention I've never set foot in Shands, so I'm clueless about the conditions within the hospital itself. And the kicker is, none of people from my doctor's office (him and two midwives) that have been taking care of me through this whole pregnancy would be there during delivery. I would have to rely on someone (likely a resident as explained by my doctor) I've never met to deliver my child. I think that's the biggest disappointment of all. I've spent so much time with my doctor and his midwives...they've been there through the ordeal of trying to conceive, through my miscarriage, and finally this pregnancy. I have a large amount of trust and faith in all of them...to know they wouldn't be there makes me so nervous.

So, even though I was dead set on a VBAC there's a huge possibility that I won't even get to try. I went to outpatient medical records on base today and they saw nothing in my records from Guam about the c-section, although they do have my OB chart. I filled out a request for the records to be transferred to Kings Bay from Guam, but it's the Navy and I bet any amount of money I'm going to have to be calling Guam myself before that surgical report is even located. And even if I do get my surgical report, I'm not as sure of this decision anymore because I won't be with my doctor or anyone on his staff. Given that there are certain risks during a VBAC, I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing my doctor would be on standby should something happen during labor. Now I feel like I'm right back at square one, unsure of what I want to do, and super frustrated that the decision might be made for me if I can't track down those surgical notes.

Other than that, I'm just waiting on the results of the glucose test. They also tested my blood count, TSH, and gave me an antibody screen so that I can get my rhogam shot on the 15th. All of those results should be in by Friday, so at least I won't be left hanging. Baby girl is looking good as well, her heartbeat was super strong when we listened today and my BP was great. So hopefully all those results come back normal and I won't have anything else to add to my list of worries.

We're also going to have a 4D ultrasound done in the next couple of weeks. I'd like 4D confirmation Abby is still a girl before we start getting rid of all our boy clothes! I'd also like to see how she looks, if she really has Aidan's nose or not and if she's got any hair. I'm really excited for the ultrasound...with Aidan I was only 23 weeks or so, and there wasn't much chub on him. Hopefully at 28 weeks she'll be a little chunky and her facial features will be really defined.

That's about it for the update. My next appointment is on Feb 29th, and after that I'll start going every 2 weeks. Crazy how the time is flying right by! Seems like she'll be here before I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!