12 August 2011

Decisions, decisions...

So...my OB called to give me the results of my labs. My A1C came back at 5.2, which I am more than thrilled about. But, my TSH came back at 4.88 which according to my doctor is within the normal range and does not need to be treated.

Now I'm slightly confused. My normal doctor feels that those levels are too high, but my OB disagrees. My normal doctor wants to treat hypothyroidism, and my OB seems to think I'm not. I have another blood draw on the 17th for my normal doctor. If it comes back within that 4.88 range, I know she's going to confirm the subclinical hypothyroidism diagnosis and want to start me on meds. But then what do I tell my OB?? I feel so awkward listening to one doctor and not the other.

My problem is that I have these symptoms that seem to fit hypothyroidism, and they make me miserable. As hard as it was for me to digest the fact that I may have hypothyroidism, after talking to Casey, I realized all the things I've been suffering from *might* be alleviated if I started on thyroid medication. So now, to hear that one of the doctors I trust feels I don't need it...I feel almost disappointed that I have no sure-fire solution on how to make me feel better.

I've tried researching what normal TSH levels are, and every article gives a different range. One article in particular say that some doctors say .3 to 5.0 is normal, while other feel .3 to 3.0 is normal. When I spoke to my regular doctor, she told me that someone like Dr. Conrad (my previous doctor) is more old school than she considers herself to be, and that doctors like him would probably not want to treat it. That being said, she definitely thinks a minimal dose could help alleviate my symptoms.

I hate being put in this position...I'm not a doctor, but I'm going to have to end up choosing which doctor's advice to follow. No matter what I do, I have to keep both doctors in the loop, and I don't want to feel like I have to defend my decision (which is what I know will end up happening once one of my doctors question why I am or am not taking meds).

If I had to be honest, right now my thinking is, I have all these symptoms that are making me miserable and I want to at least try the meds and see if they'll help. And now that I know what hypothyroidism can affect the development of a baby, I'm paranoid that if I get pregnant and don't take meds to regulate my thyroid, I'll be harming my baby. I don't want to have to argue with my OB (he's great and I don't want to switch doctors), but I really feel like something is wrong and I have to fix it. I will talk to my regular doctor and explain to her what my OB wants to do, talk about my symptoms and concerns, and go from there. But I'm pretty sure, if the TSH levels from the blood draw on the 17th come back elevated, I'll be trying the thyroid medication just to see if it'll change how I physically feel. I would just be so much more comfortable with this decision if BOTH of my doctors were in agreement. ::sigh::

1 comment:

  1. You need to do what is right. I know this sounds silly but listen to your gut. If you think something is wrong and the tests hint at it...maybe something is wrong.

    Good Luck! Prayers and wishes and rain dances your way.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!