09 August 2011

Update

It's been a long time, but I've kind of enjoyed this break from TTC. I really needed to stop focusing on what my temps were every day, peeing on strips, and looking for signs of ovulation followed by obsessing over possible signs of pregnancy. July was pretty much all about relaxing and enjoying time with my son and my husband, and I think it went pretty well.

I did end up having a cycle that month. And this month I was supposed to start clomid again, but I decided against it. Last week I went in to see my regular doctor, and talk about my metformin use. It makes me so incredibly miserable. I felt like I was getting all of the side effects without any of the benefits. I'm still having a hard time losing weight, I'm tired ALL of the time (even if I sleep well), and I've been feeling a bit depressed. She commented on me being pale during that visit, so she decided to check my iron levels, and re-ran a test on my thyroid just to make sure nothing was up. Turns out, my iron was fine by my thyroid levels came back too low. She classified it as being subclinical hypothyroidism, and I will be going to re-check my levels on the 17th. Because of the possibility that I do have hypothyroidism, I decided to take another month off of trying to get pregnant. Reason being, I read that if you get pregnant and have untreated hypothyroidism, it can cause abnormalities and/or mental retardation in the baby. When the doctor asked why I didn't start clomid on this cycle, I explained my reasoning to him and he confirmed what I had read, saying it was a valid reason for not actively trying to conceive.

Also during this visit, I explained that last year my fasting sugar was below 90, but this year when we checked it, the test came back at 112, which is indicative of insulin resistance. So, he decided to go ahead and take some blood to test my A1C (to see how my sugar has been over the last three months) and my TSH levels to see exactly how low they are. If the hypothyroidism is confirmed, we will go ahead and treat it. If my A1C comes back above a 5.6, then we will switch me from metformin to another medication that will not treat the PCOS, but will treat the insulin resistance/pre-diabetes. I should know the results by Friday. After we find out the results we can go ahead and make plans to start up the clomid again.

So far I'm happy with this plan. I really want to know for sure if the hypothyroidism and the insulin resistance exist and should be treated, and then get that under control before we get pregnant so that I don't have another miscarriage or risk the baby developing any abnormalities. I'm hoping that once I get everything under control, I'll get pregnant relatively quickly and have a normal, healthy 9 months. We will see!

2 comments:

  1. I luv you for being so brave and strong! You make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are continually in my prayers.. I hope that your doctors can get things figured out for you very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!