08 November 2010

Good Things

The last two weeks have just been one huge roller coaster ride.  Fortunately I've had some good moments in between all the bad news and sad feelings.

On Friday I was told by my husband that he had a surprise for me.  Long story short, he left the house at about 3:30 to go pick up my "surprise".  I was taking a nap when he left, and I admit I thought it was odd that he wasn't home by the time Aidan and I woke up at 4.  I brushed it off thinking he ran other errands while he was out.  I was thinking he had gone out to get me flowers, or was picking up a baby sitter so we could have a night out, or something simple.  He walked through the door at 4:30, and the first thing I noticed was his empty hands.  OK, so flowers were out.  Then I noticed he left the garage door open behind him and someone else was about to step inside.  At first I thought he brought one of his friends over, or maybe even the sitter.  But when I saw who it was behind him, I was speechless.  My best friend from college was standing in my kitchen.  All I could do was stare, mouth wide open, not believing what I was seeing.  Then she says, "Surprise" and it all started to click.  But I still couldn't get over the shock of it!  I will admit, I cried a bit, so touched by having an amazing friend who wanted to come all the way down here to try and be there for me. 

Unfortunately that good feeling was cut short by a phone call from my father in law.  Earlier that day his mother had passed.  I guess it wasn't enough for my husband to have to deal with losing our baby....he now had to cope with losing a relative.  And I honestly don't know what shocked me more...my best friend standing in my living room, or the phone call saying Momo was gone. 

Anyway, she was able to stay until today, which was awesome.  We went to the zoo, watched an amazing LSU game on Saturday, while yesterday was spent lazily chit chatting and watching TV like we did in college.  It gave me a chance to feel more like my normal self.  It was hard to stay so depressed while reminiscing over old times and sharing stories about our lives as navy wives and mommies. 

Although I'm sad to see her leave again, I'm very grateful for the weekend we had.  And I still have a visit from my sister to look forward to:  another trip to the zoo, one to Savannah, and a lot of laughing while my son runs circles around her.  It'll be another short trip, but it will probably be a really good four days of sister bonding time.

I don't know when this sad feeling will completely leave me.  I look forward to waking up on the day that it is truly all gone.  But until then, I will try my hardest to relish all the good little things I have going on around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!