03 November 2010

Love my doctor!

I had an appointment with the OB today.  But when I got to the office, they asked me if I was in for a follow up, and they seemed kind of confused that I was there.  I said I wasn't really sure why, but I had made the appointment last week, and everything was kind of a blur.  And then the receptionist told me that because I had opted for the D&C they had canceled the appointment, and said she would as if they still wanted to see me.  I told her, either way, I had some questions and if they could fit me in, I would really appreciate it.

So I waited about 10 minutes and they brought me back.  Dr. Mixson came in, hugged me, asked me how I was.  We talked a but about the grieving process, how long it would take for the symptoms to fade, etc.  And then I told him, I was worried because my previous primary care physician said metformin would pretty much be the only thing I could take to help me have a monthly cycle and get pregnant.  I told Dr. Mixson I didn't realize how miserable I was on metformin until I got off of it.  It messed with my stomach, I had headaches almost every single day, I was crabby because I felt like crap, and I was constantly nauseous.  But I was told it was my only chance so I put up with it. 

Turns out there ARE other options.  So together, the doctor and I created a plan to try again.  I'll go back in 4 weeks to see if I've had a cycle yet.  If not, we will wait and see if I have a cycle or get pregnant on my own for three months.  If in three months I still don't have a regular cycle, he will start me on provera and clomid to help us get pregnant.  I'm so happy we have a plan....it gives me something to look forward to.  I'm still not thrilled I have to wait so long, but he wants to be absolutely certain that the pregnancy didn't change how my body is working (because clomid can have serious side effects) and it's possible that because of the pregnancy, I could end up having regular periods with no help at all.  So for right now it's a wait and see game, but it doesn't mean I should lose hope or not try to have a baby in this three months time.  Who knows...maybe I miscarried because my body just needed to fix itself and I'll start having regular cycles.  I know it can happen.

Whatever the case, I'm extremely satisfied with this doctor.  The day we found out, he called me himself to see if I was OK.  He could just as easily had a nurse check on me.  Instead of turning me away today because my appointment had been canceled, or rushing through my questions, he took the time to make sure I'm at ease, that I'm not too depressed, and didn't make me feel like metformin was my only option.  He explained what we could do and made sure I was comfortable with it.  You honestly don't see that kind of patience and willingness to help in a lot of doctor's these days.  I know he must deal with miscarriages more than most people will in their lifetimes, but he never once made me feel like I was just another patient.  Everyone in that office made me feel like I mattered...they acknowledged my pain, they gave their condolances...didn't rush me to make any decisions and handled the entire situation with tact and sympathy.  More than that, they are helping me grieve and move forward.  And for that I am extremely grateful. 

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was no awesome box to check. Can't wait to meet the newest, whenever he or she decides to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO wonderful. I'm so glad Dr. Mixson is being so great to you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!