04 January 2011

Tomorrow is D-Day!

Well....tomorrow is CD 5, which means I start clomid!  I'm going to put up sticky notes all over so I don't forget to take my pill lol.  I'm excited and nervous at the same time.  So many things are going through my mind.  I don't know if this is going to put more pressure on us, or take some pressure off.  I'm really hoping this dose is enough to get the job done!

For those of you who don't know what clomid is or how it works, I'll explain what I've read.  Basically my body doesn't ovulate.  The hormone balance needed to produce and release an egg every month is off, so I can go for months and months and months without ever ovulating or having a cycle.  The metformin was helping to correct that balance and allowing me to ovulate more often (but still not regularly) and that's how I got pregnant in September.  However, the side effects from the metformin made me miserable.  Thankfully clomid is another option.  Basically clomid will block the estrogen receptors in my brain and trick my body into thinking there isn't enough estrogen.  In turn my body will produce more estrogen than it normally does, allowing me to produce a mature follicle.  There is a minute chance (about 7% according to my doctor) there will be more than one egg released, resulting in twins, but that's a chance I'm willing to take!  Possible side effects of taking clomid are hyperovulation, where the ovary just keeps producing eggs, which can also result in a loss of the ovary.  Also, a thinning of the uterus which can increase chances of miscarriage (but that's from long term use).  With every dosage increase, the chances of these side effects increase.  That's why I'm hoping this minimal dose works.

So we'll see!  I've heard clomid makes you an emotional mess, so that should be fun.  I can't even worry over it too much.  All I can think about is, by this time next week, we could be making a baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!