29 October 2010

Just Starting

OK.  Forgive me if I have any huge spelling errors or if reading this is hard to understand, as I'm still feeling the effects of the anesthesia.

I went to the hospital this morning to have the D&C done.  Everyone was really nice, and I wasn't too nervous by the time I had gotten there.  I met the other doctor, Dr. DiLorenzo, since my doctor was out of town, and she was great.  I guess the whole thing took about 15 minutes...it took longer for me to wake up than it did to complete the whole procedure. 

Going into it I was just numb.  I knew what I was going in there for, and I wasn't exactly happy.  When the doctor was talking to me, she said usually the reason a missed miscarriage occurs is because of chromosomal abnormalities, which I understood.  And then she said the probability of this happening again was so slim.  It made me cry though, because I couldn't believe I was having to do this even once.  I don't even want to face having to do this again.

Anyway, once in the OR, I remember then trying to warm me up because I was freezing.  Then I freaked out because there was pain in my arm...I guess the anesthesia hurts when it enters your system.  I asked the doc if that was normal and I remember him saying, "Yes it's OK, don't worry you're going to be fine." and then, nothing.  Next thing I know I'm waking up next to a nurse and I asked her if it was over.  She said yes and gave me some demerol for the pain.  When she walked out to get Casey it suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks:  Our baby was really gone.  And so I cried, again.

You would think I would have been prepared for that feeling but I really wasn't.  There's no words to describe how badly that hurt...it was almost as if I was finding it out for the first time.  Even now, 7 hours later, I'm still struggling not to cry.  I still can't wrap my head around all of this.  I can't even contemplate trying again.  I know I was only weeks pregnant, but I feel like I lost this big piece of myself.  And every time I forget about it and go on with some menial task, I'm reminded by a TV commercial, or a FB post, or the sight of tampons under the sink about what we lost.  I don't know how I expected to feel, but it wasn't this.  I thought the relief of having it over would be great.  But instead, I feel like the hurt is just starting and I have no idea when it's going to stop.

1 comment:

  1. Its okay if you hurt and you feel like you're never going to stop hurting... eventually you will, I promise. I promise you'll make it through. There will be days when you feel like your heart wont ever be the same, and it wont, but it will eventually stop being so gutwrenchingly painful. I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to... and remember.. you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!